Friday, July 1, 2011

Classic TV


I can remember my parents talking about radio programs that they grew up listening to. They were part of the radio generation. Now that I am older, I look back at classic television. I was raised with television. In a sense, we grew up together.

Lately, I have been rediscovering some of the early TV programs of the 1950s and 1960s. The internet as well as the vast selection of television channels has provided new life to these classic programs. Those who take the time to sample them will not be disappointed.

Of course, all classic shows are not gems. Some have not stood the test of time. Some use stereotypes that not appropriate in our modern society. The gems, though, far outshine the duds.

Recently I came across a wonderful web site that organizes these old shows. Those who are looking for some entertaining diversion will find much here to delight them. Here are some of the genres to explore:

Funny Guys, Whacky Dames, Westerns, Kids’ Shows, Variety Shows, TV Detectives and Crime Dramas, Historical Drama, Family Comedies and Dramas, Sci-Fi Fantasy and Horror, Game Shows, Musical Programs, Documentary and Reality Shows, Action and Adventure.

The web site is called Uncle Earl’s Classic TV Channel. Give it a look.

Fourth of July with Popeye


Here is a classic cartoon I found through Uncle Earl’s web site. Its theme of fireworks safety is pertinent to current events.

Enjoy this Popeye cartoon now. Happy viewing of more classic TV in the future!



©2011

The Massachusetts Observer